Monday, 29 July 2013

An interview with Thistles and Tulips Crochet

As a crochet designer myself I love nothing better than chatting to other crochet designers and asking what inspires them to do what they do!

Juicy Grape Beanie
by Thistles and Tulips Crochet
Today we asked Carmen, who runs Thistles and Tulips Crochet, if she would be kind enough to answer a few questions for you guys and share her thoughts on being a crochet designer.

HappyBerry: So how long have you been crocheting for?

Carmen: My mom taught me how when I was maybe 10 or 11 years old. I didn’t much care for crocheting then, but when I had my oldest child, I wanted to make something for her with my own hands and not something bought. I’ve been crocheting ever since.

HappyBerry: So what inspired you to start designing?

Carmen: I saw some truly amazing designers on the market already like Speckled Frog Crochet and Inner Hooker, but I thought why not?

Loralei Dress
by Thistles and Tulips Crochet 
HappyBerry: What do you love designing the most?

Carmen: I usually like the instant gratification projects like hats, but lately I’ve been interested in designing garments for children. I love making crochet pieces for my children and so it was an easy step from smaller designs like the hats to bigger things like dresses and sweet cardigans.

HappyBerry: What do you least like working on?

Carmen: I would say anything requiring a lot of joining.

HappyBerry:  What has been your most rewarding moment so far?

Carmen: I love my fans, and I feel the most rewarding moment for me came when a fan sent me a photo of their newborn modelling a hat from one of my designs. It was truly a wonderful moment. Anyone willing to send me a photo of a child or adult modelling a hat made from one of my patterns will certainly make my day.

HappyBerry: What are you currently working on?

Birthday Bolero
by Thistles and Tulips Crochet
Carmen: Where do I start? I have a ton of projects skittering around in my brain trying to work their ways out. Most recently I learned how to Tunisian crochet thanks to you. With your videos, I have been able to design a turban in Tunisian knit stitch. This design will be heading to a photographer very soon. I also have a lace cardigan which I am still trying to work out. Sometimes these things can take a while. Hmm. I also have a headband or two I will be releasing in the next few weeks.

HappyBerry: You sound quite busy! So who inspires you the most?

Carmen: My little girls are my biggest inspiration. They really helped me step out of my comfort zone and work on larger projects like the lace cardigan I mentioned before. I also designed the Birthday Bolero for my oldest daughter’s fourth birthday. And my little Gena modelled the Loralei Dress.

HappyBerry: Thank you so much for answering our questions Carmen, any advice for those wishing to start out on the path to being a crochet designer?

Carmen: Never give up hope. And don’t let anyone ever tell you what you are doing is “just a hobby”. It’s more than that when you really put your heart into it.

Thank you Carmen! We love your work very much. Thank you for sharing it with us today (^-^)

Dainty Crown
by Thistles and Tulips Crochet
FREE Pattern via her Ravelry page here:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dainty-crown

You can learn more about what Carmen gets up to at Thistles and Tulips Crochet on her Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/thistlesandtulipscrochet

You can also visit her Etsy store here to buy any of her patterns:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThistlesandTulips

Or join her on Ravelry where you can find some of her free patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/carmen-statham